Monday, January 5, 2009

erotic art gallery

4 drawings of my series "Terrible Beauty" were published on the online erotic art gallery.

http://eroticartgallery.blogspot.com

I submitted to their non-erotic gallery. They then placed the series in a more appropriate(?) setting.

Seeing my drawings among stimulating images of breasts, buttocks, penises and vaginas, a loss of control over one's artworks hit home. Using nudity in these drawings as a tool to explore the concept of female youth and beauty, I did not for one second imagine these drawings "erotic." They are...sensual but not sexual?

Having my "sensual art" being categorized as erotic art, I remembered how little control the artist has once her artworks are out in the public. Her toil and soul are vulnerable for the public to speculate, to criticize, and to make whatever comments that might fit their agendas.

I remembered why art students are trained to write concise artist statement, a desperate attempt to restrain the arena of attacks from the public and from the critics.

I am truly happy that my art exists in yet another cyber space, be it erotic art gallery or kids ABC. Thank you for publishing the drawings. Maybe I will now try to submit to the non-erotic art gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment